Women in India are always looking for the answer to the question, “How to get relief from the burning sensation in the intimate area?”. There is an increasing complaint amongst women in the country that they are unable to have a pleasurable sexual experience as it stings a lot during penetration. Now you can opt for the most advanced laser treatment for curing vaginal dryness!
Normally, the vaginal walls stay lubricated with a thin layer of clear fluid which is maintained by the female hormone, estrogen. Vaginal dryness is a basic condition that occurs when there is a drop in the estrogen level. This lowers the lubrication and eventually causes dryness in your intimate area. This condition is also known as vaginal atrophy.
Why do I have dryness in the intimate area?
Now that you know the main reason for dryness, let’s have a look at why there is a decrease in the estrogen level. The estrogen levels start to decrease as women approach menopause. The other causes of the decrease in low estrogen are-
- Breastfeeding and childbirth
- Cancer treatment, including chemotherapy and radiation
- Ovaries are surgically removed to treat any condition
- Usage of anti-estrogen drugs for breast cancer or endometriosis
Apart from the above-mentioned symptoms, some of the other reasons for dryness in your vagina could be-
- Antihistamines- Drugs used for cold and allergy symptoms dry up secretions. These have side effects such as vaginal dryness as well as difficulty in urinating.
- Antidepressants- If you consume antidepressants then you can have sexual side effects such as vaginal dryness, decreased libido and difficulty achieving orgasm.
- Sjögren’s syndrome- This is an autoimmune disorder in which the salivary and tear glands get inflamed. This can also cause vaginal dryness as the vaginal lining can also get inflamed.
Vaginal dryness is a common phenomenon in elder women but can occur in any age group. Now let’s discuss some symptoms that you can feel.
What Are The Symptoms?
Apart from pain and discomfort, you’ll be likely to feel any of these following symptoms-
- Soreness, itching or burning sensation in and around the vagina
- Slight bleeding after sexual intercourse
- Mild vaginal discharge
- Frequent urge to urinate
- Frequent infections in the urinary tract
- Mood changes
It is suggested that if you have any of the above-mentioned symptoms, then visit a doctor immediately.
How Vaginal Dryness is Diagnosed?
When you visit the doctor, he’ll ask you some basic questions as there is no specific single test to diagnose vaginal dryness. The doctor may perform a pelvic exam and have a look at your medical history, especially your menstrual health.
The pelvic exams help the doctor to rule out other causes of discomfort, such as an infection. They check for any changes in the vaginal walls and may collect samples of cells (Pap test) or vaginal discharge.
What To Do For Vaginal Dryness?
There are various treatment options you can try for vaginal dryness. These can broadly be categorized into two categories-
- Non-surgical treatment
- Surgical treatment using laser
Non-Surgical Treatment Options
- Topical Estrogen Therapy- These medications help to replenish the hormone your body is no longer making. This is the most common treatment for vaginal dryness. In order to get relief from the symptoms, apply these medications directly to the area.
The following are the most prescribed topic estrogen therapies recommended by a doctor-
- Estring/Vaginal ring- This soft, flexible ring is inserted into your vagina which releases low amounts of estrogen into the tissues continuously. It is advised that replace the ring every 3 weeks.
- Vagifem/Vaginal tablet- With the help of a disposable applicator, you insert a tablet into the vaginal for the first two weeks of treatment. Then you can gradually shift it to twice a week.
- Estrace/Vaginal cream- Similar to the tablet, apply the cream into the vagina with the help of an applicator daily for 1 to 2 weeks or as per doctor’s recommendation.
Avoid using this treatment option if you are pregnant or breast-feeding or know someone who has a history of breast cancer.
- Home Remedies- To combat vaginal dryness, try these simple life changes-
- Hygiene products- Products, such as body products and personal hygiene products, contain fragrances and dyes that can cause irritation or dryness around the vagina. You should know that the vagina contains good bacteria which helps in self-cleaning. As this is a sensitive area, there is no need for using fragrant soaps.
- Foods that contain phytoestrogens- Consume plant-based foods including soy, nuts, seeds and tofu which are rich in phytoestrogens. These are compounds similar to estrogen but found in plants.
- Regular sex- Regular sex helps to increase the blood flow to the vaginal tissues which helps to stimulate the production of moisture. This will make sex more enjoyable for you!
- Wear comfortable undergarments- Instead of synthetic underwear, wear cotton ones as these promote airflow and allows your vagina to breathe.
Painless Laser Surgery For Vaginal Dryness
With the advancement of technology, there has been an upgradation of medical equipment also. The latest laser-based procedures can cure the condition of vaginal dryness without any pain! In this laser vaginal dryness treatment, laser beams generate heat and stimulate collagen production in the vaginal tissues which restore strength and elasticity. This, in turn, increases blood flow to the vaginal tissues and hence increases lubrication. The whole treatment takes approximately four sessions to complete. Thinking if this treatment option is safe or not? These laser-based procedures are approved by the U.S. Drugs and Food Administration for treating vaginal dryness.
Benefits of laser treatment-
- Painless as well as bloodless
- Risk of infection reduced to zero
- Almost no visible scarring
- Recovery within two days
- Looseness and laxity of the vagina is restored
- Stress urinary incontinence is cured
- 20-min procedure